Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||xiii, 160 pages ; 24 cm|
|Contents:||pt. I. The problem : Adonises with a pimple ; Aptitude or achievement? ; From testocratic merit to democratic merit --
pt. II. The solution/s : Taking down fences at University Park Campus School ; No longer lonely at the top: The Posse Foundation ; Democratic merit in the classroom: Eric Mazur and Uri Treisman ; Six ways of looking at democratic merit ; Democratic merit in a twenty-first-century world.
"Standing on the foundations of America's promise of equal opportunity, our universities purport to "serve as engines of social mobility" and "practitioners of democracy." But as acclaimed scholar and pioneering civil rights advocate Lani Guinier argues, the merit systems that dictate the admissions practices of these institutions are functioning to select and privilege elite individuals rather than create learning communities geared to advance democratic societies. Having studied and taught at schools such as Harvard University, Yale Law School, and the University of Pennsylvania Law School, Guinier has spent years examining the experiences of ethnic minorities at the nation's top institutions of higher education, and here she lays bare the practices that impede the stated missions of these schools. Guinier argues for reformation, not only of the very premises of admissions practices but of the shape of higher education itself, and she offers many examples of new collaborative initiatives that prepare students for engaged citizenship in our increasingly multicultural society."--Publisher information.
Retrieving notes about this item
- Education, Higher -- Aims and objectives -- United States.
- Education, Higher -- Social aspects -- United States.
- Democracy and education -- United States.
- Multicultural education -- United States.
- Discrimination in higher education -- United States.
- Minorities -- Education (Higher) -- United States.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE -- Discrimination & Race Relations.
- EDUCATION -- Educational Policy & Reform -- General.
- LAW -- Discrimination.
- Democracy and education.
- Discrimination in higher education.
- Education, Higher -- Aims and objectives.
- Education, Higher -- Social aspects.
- Minorities -- Education (Higher)
- Multicultural education.
- United States.
User lists with this item (6)
- April 2017 New Books(82 items)
by CrownCollegeLibrary updated about 8 hours ago
- Race and Ethnic Relations(15 items)
by emilydawn updated about 2 weeks ago
- April2 2016(260 items)
by cynthia burton updated 2016-04-04
- Academic Development 2015(25 items)
by zkoen updated 2015-12-22
- October 2015 New Books - Bellarmine University Library(17 items)
by kmcmain updated 2015-10-13